ADOPT A PET
Chesapeake Humane Society has many adoptable pets looking for their forever homes. Our cats are free-roaming within the Adoption Center so it’s easy to drop by to see their personalities. Most of our dogs reside in our Adoption Center, while some reside in loving foster homes; please read their bios to see where they are located. Scroll down to view our adoptable pets.
Our adoption fees (listed below) help to cover a fraction of the cost of providing food, shelter, and veterinary care for our adoptable pets. CHS does not profit from these adoption fees.
Kittens (Less than 1 year): $150, Cats: $75, Cats 9 years of age and older: $50 – includes spay/neuter, rabies vaccine and FVRCP vaccine appropriate to age, FIV/FeLV combo test, senior bloodwork for cats 9+, ProBNP for cats 9+, de-worming, flea/tick treatment, microchip and registration, and veterinary exam.
Puppies (Less than 1 year): $225, Dogs: $175, Dogs 7 years of age and older: $100 – includes spay/neuter, rabies vaccine, DHPP vaccine, and bordetella vaccine appropriate to age, senior bloodwork for dogs 7+, heartworm test and heartworm preventative (6 months of heartworm preventive for dogs over 10 months of age), de-worming, flea/tick treatment, microchip and registration, and veterinary exam.
Rabbits: $50 – includes spay/neuter, microchip and registration, and veterinary exam.
Small Animals/Birds: Fee varies by species
Animals with special medical care – fees vary
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Agree not to declaw, crop ears, dock tail, or any other cosmetic procedures.
- Agree that all cats will be kept only indoors.
- Have all resident cats up to date on Rabies and all resident dogs up to date on Rabies, HW test, and HW preventative. If adopting a puppy, resident dogs must also be up to date on DHPP. If adopting a kitten, resident cats must be current on FVRCP.
Things to Consider Before Acquiring a New Pet:
- Do you have the appropriate supplies for your new pet? (We can help with suggestions!)
- Are you within the legal limit for the number of pets you can own in the city or jurisdiction you live in?
- If you rent, know what pets you can have in your home.
- How many are you allowed to have?
- Are there weight or breed restrictions?
- Do you have to pay a pet deposit and/or a monthly pet fee?
Applications are reviewed and considered in the order they are received. Once an adoption counselor reaches out via phone or email, applicants have 24 hours* to meet all adoption requirements and respond. After 24 hours*, the application becomes inactive and the next application is considered. If your application expires, it can be transferred to another adoptable pet at our shelter for consideration – you do not have to fill out another application.
* Pets in very high demand may have shorter timeframes which will be defined in their adoption profile. Pets in high demand may include litters of puppies or kittens, small dogs, and purebred pets.
ADOPTION CENTER LOCATION & HOURS
1149 New Mill Drive
Chesapeake, VA 23322
Tuesday – Sunday: 12pm – 4pm
*Masks are not required but respected.