The Chesapeake Humane Society (CHS) is committed to protecting the privacy of our donors. We may collect personal data about donors for a number of reasons:
- to administer and maintain accounts relating to donations;
- to facilitate fundraising;
- to communicate with donors and potential donors concerning the organization and its services; and
- to comply with legal and regulatory requirements.
Information gathered may include: name, address, phone number, e-mail address and credit card number when a donor voluntarily provides it to us. In addition, CHS keeps a record of each donor’s giving history. This information is kept on file for IRS purposes and is also used by the organization to analyze overall giving patterns in order to make more accurate budget projections.
Recognition and Reporting. Where appropriate, and with the knowledge and consent of the donor, CHS may publicly recognize the receipt and purpose of an individual gift. However, unless desired by the donor, the staff will not disclose the amount of such gifts, except where required by law. Data on donors and donation amounts may be aggregated and stripped of identifying information for reporting purposes (including grant applications and government filings) without the explicit consent of the donors. We do compile an Annual Report every year and list donors in giving categories.
Safeguards. Office policies are in place to safeguard donor information, including:
- physical measures, including restricted access to offices.
- organizational measures, such as security clearances and limiting access on a “need to know” basis.
- technological measures, such as the use of passwords and encryption.
- a records retention policy is in place.
The Chesapeake Humane Society does not share or sell donors’ personal information. Individual records are kept only as long as necessary to fulfill the purpose for which they were collected and to comply with applicable laws.